Here in the New Forest, where I am a district councillor, the opposition Lib Dem group proposed spending £100,000 to employ a "climate change officer" and give him/her a budget to tackle climate change. This was soundly defeated. We also rejected opposition attempts to declare a climate emergency here.
Although I am not a resident of Warwick, I feel your pain. This monstrous tax grab must be defeated in the forthcoming referendum - not only for your sake, but for the sake of the many other councils who will follow this if it were to succeed.
I suggest a good title for Warwick's campaign would be Warwick Residents Against Tax Hike (WRATH). It's time to bring your wrath down on this soppy council!
I hope there is a serious organised opposition to this who can get out leaflets to ensure residents turn out in numbers to vote this down. It will be a simple majority and no doubt there is a hard core support by the Extinction Rebellion brigade aide and abetted by Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, etc.
If I were writing a leaflet I would include the following:
1. No measures taken by Warwick DC will have the slightest effect on the climate.
2. Greenhouse gas levels will continue increasing even if the UK reaches zero emissions as long as other major nations such as China and India continue to increase their emissions.
3. Severe weather events such as the Australian heatwave (which led to the widfires) and UK flooding have occurred many times in the past and statistics show they are not increasing - just being reported more prominently.
4. We are at greater risk of flooding because we continue to build on flood plains, and do not dredge rivers as much as we used to.
5. I urge all residents to listen to a lecture by a leading climate scientist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvO7bBuTRno.
It's time for us to stand up to this nonsense, enough is enough. If Warwick DC get this through our taxes will rocket not ust in Warwick but all over the country.